by AACN, Karen K. Carlson (Editor)
From AACN experts comes a resource dedicated to helping you oversee or care for critical care patients in any practice setting. This comprehensive critical care nursing textbook addresses serious and potentially life-threatening patient conditions with a foundation rooted in the critical thinking process: the comprehension, analysis, synthesis, and application of knowledge.
• Endorsed by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN), the largest specialty nursing organization in the United States, for the most authoritative coverage available.
• Thorough discussions of each body system emphasize advanced concepts, presenting physiology in an application format that examines the clinical implications of physiological science.
• Coverage of assessment focuses on interpreting abnormal findings and linking those findings to diagnosis and intervention.
• Appropriate interventions are discussed from an interdisciplinary, evidence-based perspective.
• Hundreds of new, full-color illustrations and design clarify important concepts and improve the book’s usability.
• Complex, unfolding case studies are presented in all disease chapters, accompanied by review questions with a comprehensive answer key.
• Multidisciplinary Plans of Care provide at-a-glance information for common ICU conditions.
• Nutrition boxes appear in each relevant chapter, offering guidelines for patient needs with specific illnesses.
• Research-Based Practice Guidelines boxes and Promoting Evidence-Based Practice features appear throughout the text whenever applicable to present the latest research-supported nursing assessment and intervention practices.
• Drug boxes include common classifications of critical care drugs for specific disorders, including drug, actions, dosage, and special considerations.
• Applying the Technology features help you apply the latest technology to patient care.
• NIC Interventions boxes list NIC intervention labels appropriate for the conditions discussed in a chapter.