by Mario Sanna
Representing the pinnacle of skull base surgery, paraganglioma management requires the advanced surgical skills and expertise that are presented by Dr. Mario Sanna and his team in this comprehensive reference. It incorporates extensive surgical and radiological data compiled over 20 years at the preeminent Gruppo Otologica Clinic in Piacenza, Italy, and features the exquisite intraoperative photographs and schematic diagrams that are a hallmark of the highly regarded Sanna texts. All head and neck and skull base surgeons will find their knowledge, technical proficiency, and ability to manage these challenging tumors vastly increased by this informative resource.
- Step-by-step descriptions of the full range of head and neck paraganglioma procedures, including the infratemporal fossa approach type A, the extreme lateral approach, and the transcervical approach, plus guidance on managing complex tympanojugular paragangliomas
- More than 1,800 clearly labeled, high-quality intraoperative photographs correlated to full-color schematic drawings for an in-depth understanding of techniques
- Detailed discussion of managing the internal carotid artery during procedures, including the neuroradiological use of stents
- Pathology-oriented structure that allows the reader to identify a lesion at a particular stage and then follow the critical thinking, assessment, pre-operative management, and intra-operative course taken by the surgeon
- Comprehensive sections on pathology, physiology, anatomy, epidemiology, and new genetic breakthroughs that lay the groundwork for the surgical chapters
- Tips, hints, and pitfalls at the end of each chapter that offer valuable insights for managing different clinical scenarios
Demonstrating the complex decision-making process in many actual cases and offering practical advice for handling complications, this book puts the reader into the operating room with the surgeon. It is indispensable for all head and neck and skull base surgeons who manage paragangliomas and related pathologies, as well as for otolaryngologists, neurosurgeons, maxillofacial surgeons, radiologists, and interventional radiologists involved in assessing these intricate conditions.