The text covers communications, counseling, interviewing, motivating clients, delivering oral presentations and using media in presentations. Communication is basic to the relationship that the Registered Dietitian (RD) professional has with their clients. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recognizes the importance of communication skills for practitioners to promote health, disease prevention and treatment. Providing people with information on what to eat is not enough, the RD must also promote and facilitate behavior changes to more healthful food choices.
The text incorporates the Nutrition Care Process (NCP) and model, including four steps of nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis using PES statement (Problem, Etiology and Signs/Symptoms), nutrition intervention, and nutrition monitoring and evaluation. The PES statements are the most critical in that the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has been stressing this as an essential component of their standards and requirements.
The text uses activities, case studies, self assessment questions, web references and graphics to engage the student and drive the content home.
· Judith A Beto, PhD, RD, FADA is the lead author.
· The Nutrition Care Process is now included in chapter 1 for those who wish to include it in the case studies.
· The Appendices contain the standardized language for the Nutrition Care Process from the International Dietetics & Nutrition Terminology (IDNT) Reference Manual.
· There is one case study per chapter with others available on thePoint.
· Motivation is integrated into appropriate chapters rather than a separate chapter.
· The cultural and life cycle chapters are expanded based on market feedback.
· Chapter content and references are updated.
Chapter 1 Guides for Nutrition and Dietetics Practice
Chapter 2 Communication
Chapter 3 Interviewing
Chapter 4 Person-Centered Counseling
Chapter 5 Stages and Processes of Health Behavior Change
Chapter 6 Counseling for Behavior Modification
Chapter 7 Counseling for Cognitive Change
Chapter 8 Counseling Through the Life-Span
Chapter 9 Communication and Cultural Diversity
Chapter 10 Principles and Theories of Learning
Chapter 11 Planning Learning
Chapter 12 Implementing and Evaluating Learning
Chapter 13 Group Facilitation and Dynamics
Chapter 14 Effective Oral Presentations
Chapter 15 Using Instructional Media
Appendix A: Nutrition Assessment and Monitoring and Evaluation Terminology
Appendix B: Nutrition Diagnostic Terminology
Appendix C: Nutrition Intervention Terminology